Sunday, June 25, 2006

Ukraine- Arrival

I didn't know what to expect really when I first contemplated the idea of going to the Ukraine. Not really having any connection with it, the most I knew was that it was next to Russia, a former communist state, and the only images I had of the country were those from the recent films I had seen showing at the Sundance Festival. Needless to say, I have been pleasantly surprised.

Upon arrival, I was greated with only one of the two bags that I had brought with me. So began my understanding of time here. For close to 2 hours I waited in a line to fill out an endless supply of form papers, only to be told I could be waiting up to 4-6 days for my luggage to be located. 4 days might not seem long, but in perspective, a person is officially missing after 24 hours, 36 hours of sleep deprivation and the mind shuts down, 72 hours missing you're chalked up as missing for good... in the light of this I was a bit skeptical as I walked out of the airport lugging a 70lb bag of peanut butter and children's shoes hoping that something in my team bag would fit me.

My cousin Tammy was kind enough to greet me at the airport. It's been close to 13 years since I've seen her but I couldn't mistake her firey red hair when I stepped out of the terminal. Accomanying her was little Hannah, who's 9 mnths, and she is a gem! Such a happy baby who loves to smile and coo at everyone she meets. It was so fun riding home just chatting and catching up. Seeing as Tammy is 9 yrs older and lived in a different part of the US, we have never really spent much time together. However, the Long trait is in both of us and we talked most of the 4 hr bus ride home. I have enjoyed staying with her and her family (all of whom I've met for the first time!)

No comments: