Sunday, November 18, 2007

NasCar Comes to South-Florida!

With the building of the racetrack down in Homestead, South Florida now has the opportunity to partake in what before could only be found in Daytona. As soon as tickets went on sale, I knew that this would be something Marco would love, especially since he's all about finding the "real America".

Sadly, tickets sold faster than hotcakes fresh from the griddle and I wasn't able to purchase them. Disappointed, but slightly relieved, I chalked it up to fate. I mean after all, I went to school in the deep south and I've had my fill of NASCAR. Then Robin called to say she had extra tickets and they were free!

When Marco got home from class, I told him I had a surprise. As soon as I mentioned what it was, he went tearing through his closet emerging 20 minutes later proudly displaying his "country" look- a pair of jeans, a striped blue shirt, and a baseball cap. Standing in front of the bathroom mirror he began to practice his southern drawl, "Howdy y'all! Y'all from 'round 'ere?" I could only groan as I walked by- I can assure you, the Afrikaans and southern accents don't mix well.

The amount of fan paraphernalia was astounding, it made Disney look like a small Five and Dime store! The moment we parked I lost Marco who couldn't wait to mix with "the locals" and was later found swappin' stories at the beer tent.

The races were flippin' amazing. We had great seats, right across from the pit which was highly entertaining. A few cars stood out and seemed to be in the pit every other lap- they reminded me of the Little Engine that Could, who's sole goal was to just finish the race.

I had to laugh though, at one point, I turned to get the camera from Marco and he was taking a portfolio of pictures of the sunset, completely oblivious to the "zroooooom-----" of the speeding cars next to him, the crash that had just occured, or the action that was happening in the pit.

Marco enjoyed every moment of it, especially the crowds and the vibe. However, when I asked him what he thought of the sport itself, he put on his "southern" accent and drawled, "W-e--ll, next time I reckon I'll just sit myself down in front of the dryer and watch the clothes tumble. I reckon it's 'bout the same effect."

Click below to experience a part of the race!

No comments: