Monday, June 25, 2007

San Juan, PR

Okay, so I admit, I was a bit skeptical when Marco first approached me about the idea of a cruise. My mind conjured up a variety of images, none to appealing. The vacation that the love of my life was suggesting was one that I was unaccustomed to. A low stress, no maintenance, married vacation?! One in which I was going to have to trade in my trusted backpack that I've carried now since I was 16, for a suitcase with wheels!?! No hedging through crowded streets, no bargaining for a place to sleep, hot water that was going to be free of charge....

Marco and I have not taken many vacations together, largely due to opposite work schedules and the idea of what constitutes as "fun". However, since this was his idea and an attempt at us going away together, who was I to decline?

The flight to San Juan was uneventful. As we rode through new San Juan, it has an uncanny resemblance to 8th Street, Calle Ocho, here in Miami. It was crowded with the same type of constrution, litter, and vibe. Listening to the Spanish station playing in the background, I didn't think we had actually left Miami. Old San Juan provided greater hope. It's quaint, historic streets, lined with some beautiful homes, began to stir the ever so present eagerness to explore the unknown. I couldn't wait to drop our bags off on the ship and begin to wander the streets.

Unfortunately, check-in took longer than anticipated so by the time we were able to get back off the boat, it was close to dusk, meaning most things would be closing within the hour. Quickly I sprinted past Columbus Square with Marco in tow moaning about the fact that this was vacation and that we were suppose to be meandering, holding hands, enjoying the view... FYI, meandering is for old people, and if I wanted to do so, I would have stayed home and meandered with the rest of the retirees around the lake. San Juan was itching to be explored and I only had until the sun set so please pick up your pace!

Fort San Christobal was neat. I love anything historic and my imagination was able to run wild imagining what it was like to have been a soldier posted there. From the hidden tunnels to the amazing roof views, it was cool to see how the city looked now and to imagine what it was like when the first explorers set foot there. Even Marco enjoyed it!

Afterwards, we meandered throughout the town, exploring all the little side streets, nooks, crannies, and shops. The iron work in the architect was beautiful, the homes so gaily painted, street musicians of all sorts playing on various corners throughout the city... we stumbled upon an outdoor concert and it was so cute to watch all the elderly couples dancing together and enjoying being together... San Juan was definately more than I anticipated and we were off to a great start!

No comments: