Friday, April 04, 2008

Washington DC pt 3- Rememberance


Once of the things I loved was the memorials to our heros.  Each monument was one that made me reflect on truly what our country was founded on and that what I enjoy today came at a price.  I stood at the Jefferson Memorial and read Jefferson's words, the words that were to shape our country...

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal. That they are  endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights... and for the support of this declaration... we mutually pledge our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor."

As we walked through the various memorials, I came upon a large flag made up of bronze stars representing the soldiers who sacrificed during WWII.  I was reminded of a quote that I had challenged my students with, "The dead pay the price for the living."  That which I enjoy today came because someone was willing to pledge their life so that I could have a better one.

         






















No comments: