Sunday, March 04, 2007

Rugby Alive and So-so in Miami!

I was invited to attend a rugby match in Downtown Miami on Saturday. The Miami Tridents playing Daytona Beach Rugby Club, two of several rugby teams competing in a Florida First Division Rugby League. I was pleasantly surprised.
Additionally, there is a Second Division team and a Women's Rugby League.
The Florida First Division winner then plays the winner of the other states in the region, after which the winners of the different regions fight it out for the National Champs. The US national team
Rugby has a culture to it that stays the same all over the world. It felt real good hanging out with the rugby boys. Thoughts of Taichung Teletubbies!

I had to smile. Someone asked me where I'm from and once word spread that there was a South African, they all asumed I was a well-rounded player. I've been offered a position in the team, as well as an assistant-coaching job!

Pic 1: (Top) Miami players scrambling for the ball on Daytona's tryline. In the background is the Atlantic Airlines Arena, the headquarters of the Heat Basketball Team.

Pic 2: The sticks looking a little tired.

Pic 3: The view from the pitch. Cruiseships docking next to the McArthur Causeway, Downtown lying to the right, South Beach in the distance.

No comments: