Monday, May 14, 2007

Cultural Diversity

I can mention many negatives about Miami, but one thing that I do appreciate here is the cultural diversity. I know I will miss this wherever in the world we are lead to go from here.
I was at a dinner the other night where we had a German, a native from Minnesota, two Venezuelans, me, the South African, a Brazilian, a Cuban and a Canadian at our table. (Canadians are like Americans, without the guns and WITH the canabis!) ;-)

In my English tutoring class, there's a ladies from Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador and Puerto Rico. Furthermore, the lady from Bolivia is a Quechua Indian - a tribe related to, and part of the great Inca race before the Spanish "invasion".
(Upon entering the New World, the Spanish started introducing their culture to the natives of South America until nearly everybody was dead!)

My MBA group consist of me, two Puerto Ricans, a Columbian, a Cuban, a Venezuelan, a Costa Rican, and more. All of us were born outside of our adopted homeland, the culture of Miami being prevalent. However, I enjoy asking each of them on occassion to tell me about their hometown, and see their faces lit up as they explain. The different cultures guarantees that class discussions are never boring, since no one case study or management problem will play out exactly the same in any given culture, regardless of the organizational architecture and hierarchy.

It's mucho fantastico to be experiencing globalization as such. I've started my Spanish again.

No comments: